I'm Retired and I'm Doing Neat Stuff
Other than the Great User Documents Writing Course (which I wrote a while ago), this website is about what I'm doing now.
What I'm Doing Now
(See the list of my art pieces.)
Atomic Rooster Third Annual Cock Show (2011): Mike Hawk on a Rock
Please see my Projects page.
Here's What I Used to Do
As A Speaker, Course Development Specialist and Teacher ...
Barry has been teaching since 1967. First as a graduate student at the University of Calgary, later as a psychology instructor at Carleton University, and finally as a freelance course development specialist, instructor and speaker for the private sector.
His philosophy of information sharing:
- Concepts should progress from the known to the new, focusing on the needs.
- Education should be fun, with hands-on experience, and encouragement of experimentation wherever possible.
- Materials should be easy to use for both the instructor and the student.
Barry loves to teach. In a word, his animated teaching style is judged as enthusiastic. He is consistently rewarded with high ratings for his presentations.
He has received several formal awards for superior presentations at data processing conferences. His most valued kudos are the informal ones from the participants. Many comment that they were able to solve their problems and understand previously puzzling material following his seminars.
His special talents include the ability to quickly learn new products and instruct users on their operation. Almost 100% of his computing skills are self-taught....he understands what a student needs to know and how to best teach that information.
In his latest contract he wrote the complete technical documentation for six multi-program mainframe computer systems for the federal government of Canada.
He focused his passion for good, clear communication on the area of writing Great User Documents. To this end, he created resources and a Course to teach anyone to create the Great User Documents that their Products need and Users deserve.
Philosophy towards Clients...
Barry believes in "giving the client much more than they expect." For example, on his own volition, he designed and set up a data processing system that was estimated by Treasury Board to have saved the Canadian Government over two million dollars.
- University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Doctor of Philosophy, Psychology (1974)
Doctoral Dissertation (Human Learning): Information Type Compatibility
- University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta
Master of Science, Physiological Psychology (1969)
- Carnegie Institute of Technology, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (1966)
Member of Eta Kappa Nu and Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honorary Societies.
- 1998 - Present: President of Igetitnow! Training, Inc.
- Sept. 1980 - Sept. 2006: Self Employed Consultant, Course Development Specialist & Instructor
- Sept. 1978 - 1980: Data Kinetics, Ltd.: Consultant, Course Developer & Instructor
- Sept. 1976 - Aug. 1978: Carleton University: Psychology Instructor
- May 1974 - Sept. 1976: Bell-Northern Research: Human Factors Psychologist
- President of Igetitnow! Training, Inc. 1998 - Present
- Developed the concept: Be Kind to Humans: Give the Gift of Information
- Created, Developed and Marketed Two QNX Computer-Based Training Courses:
- Using and Managing the QNX Operating System
- Creating High-Performance QNX-Based Systems: Design & Implementation
Both of these courses have been sold worldwide with a money-back guarantee and a year of free e-mail support. To date, no student has requested a refund, and the few questions relate to material that the students had not yet covered in the course. These are good examples of complex information clearly and completely presented!
Consultant, September 1978 - September, 2006
- Data Kinetics, Ltd. (course development and instruction)
- Supply & Services Canada (Personnel Systems Group)
- Canada Post Corporation
- Treasury Board of Canada
- Department of Finance (Government of Canada)
- Agriculture Canada (Finance Directorate)
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- Petroleum Information Systems, Dome Petroleum, Calgary
- Capital Management Reporting System, Bell Canada
Additional Course Development and Instruction
- Created and Developed customer service educational material for retail merchants
- Created and Developed a mail-order course: Be Happy: A Self-Instruction Course
- Created, Developed & Taught Training Wheels, a course for new computer users
- Created, Developed & Taught "Effective Use of Hard Disks in a DOS Environment or How to Become Fast friends with Your Hard Disk" course.
Canadian Psychological Association Meetings
- 1967: A Computer Simulation of Personality
- 1969: Rodent Evaluation of Chemical Vapours
Preparation and Delivery of Papers & Workshops Mark IV - IV League' Conferences:
- "Testing for MARK IV Programmer Aptitude"*
- "An Overview of MARK IV"
- "Editing Transactions During the MARK IV Update Cycle"*
- "Transaction Processing"*
- "User Read Coordinated Files"*
* Denotes award-winning talks and workshops
Preparation and Delivery of Papers to QNX User Group Conferences:
- "Catching Fast Events with an Effective Hardware-Software Blend", 1988
- "Getting Information from ONX Windows", 1991
- "Design With Proxies", 1992
- "Design Your QNX-Based Applications with QNX In Mind", 1993
(no awards were presented at these conferences)
- Ottawa-Carleton Board of Trade: Practical Steps to Implementing Customer Service, 1989
- Data Processing Management Association (Empire Region): Introducing High Level Languages and New Data management Technology or You Can Teach an Old Dog New Tricks!, 1988
- Japanese Gardens
- Cold Smoking Foods
- Orchid Growing
- Tabletop Fountains